Our teachers are all qualified to teach English to non-native speakers to a very high standard. We hold qualifications from Cambridge (CELTA and DELTA), Trinity (TESOL), Diplomas in Teaching in Life Long Learning (DTTLS) with specialisms in ESOL and, we also hold PCGE and QTLS.
Between us, we have many years’ experience teaching in British FE colleges, schools and overseas language schools.
Meet The Team
Clare Middleton, Founder and Director
“I founded the Berkshire School of English on my belief that language acquisition is better achieved in small groups where people feel safe to explore and experiment with the English language.
I also wanted to reach members of our community that are the most vulnerable or unable to access private classes or larger FE courses. I am proud that we can deliver these classes free of charge by working in partnership with West Berkshire Council and the Government’s Syrian Vulnerable People Resettlement Programme.
I love information technology and believe that location should not restrict access to learning. I strongly believe that online learning will become just as popular, if not more so than face-to-face learning in the very near future and for that reason we will continue to develop our online learning provision.
Finally, I am very proud of all those working for the school. We are a strong team working together to create a friendly safe place to learn”
Rachel Flynn-Delargy, VLE and Business Development Manager
CELTA – DTTLS – Level 5 Teaching English Dip. – NVQ in Learning Support
I have been teaching English both in the UK and abroad since 1999. I have taught at levels ranging from Kindergarten (Japan) to University and Teacher’s College (China).
For eight years, I taught Functional and GCSE English to native speakers, as well as ESL to non-native speakers, at a British college. These included both teenagers (16+) and adults (18+), some with learning obstacles such as dyslexia and autism.
I also teach the Life in the UK course which reflects my degree in History, and I have created the Business English course which is informed by my years as assistant manager at a recruitment agency.
I strongly believe that the best way for students to learn is to create a relaxed, fun learning environment and my students seem to agree!
I also enjoy arranging the enrichment days out with the school, which involve sightseeing at historical places and activities such as treasure hunts.
Belinda, Community ESOL Teacher
PGCE in Post- Compulsory Education
Degree in French and Business Studies
I have over 15 years experience of teaching English as a foreign language. I have prepared students for IELTS, IGCSE, First certificate, KET, PET and Proficiency exams. I have taught all levels and all ages!
I enjoy travelling. I have taught English in France and Greece. This was an enjoyable time, which inspired me to continue teaching in the UK. I have a passion for languages. I can speak French and Croatian. I have a good understanding of learning languages, and how to motivate my students to study. I am passionate about helping my students reach their goals.
CELTA - Brighton & Hove City College
I qualified as aTESOL tutor back in 2004 and got my "first break" at Newbury Hall International Boarding School, and I've never looked back. Teaching English is my passion, I love reading and I am fascinated by "words", I always have been, discovering the world of EFL was a godsend as I turned my passion into my job and I think I am very lucky to be able to say that. I have taught all levels, of all ages, first starting off as a Summer School Tutor (trial by fire) and then continuing as a full time member of staff. Part of the appeal is meeting new students, building up trust and watching your student progress. There is a real team spirit with EFL teachers as we all strive to achieve the same goal. I try to make the lessons as interesting and engaging as possible as I strongly believe a bored student is harder to teach, so I think its a win/win situation.
Hanan Turland-Warlow, Community ESOL Teacher
BA English Literature
TESOL Trinity College Level 5
At the start of my career I taught English language and English Literature at an International Public School for girls.
I eventually qualified as a Health & Safety Manager and delivered one day training courses on Risk Assessments, Health & Safety at work, Workstation risk assessment, PPE risk assessment and DSE risk assessment.
In addition to generic ESOL and EFL teaching I have a strong interest in working with refugees and asylum seekers who arrive in the UK with little or no English. BSE has given me the opportunity to work with these people to help support them with their English language learning and help them and their families to settle and become part of their new communities.
Volunteer Technical Manager
I was self-taught, starting out in computing in the mid nighties, I now have over 20+ years in the IT industry. I have many IT qualifications and skills and have worked for some major players in the industry starting with Microsoft being lucky enough to build machines for Bill Gates to use when he met Prime Minister John Major. I worked for Vodafone and implanted systems to reduce call volumes and carried out special projects for them rolling out 3g data cards and doing web development for the internet and internet portals.
I would say IT and IT security are a passion of mine, I Love building custom machines for family and friends to give them more than they would get from a store bought desktop machine. If you want a PC conversation just ask me about my own custom PC!!
I have carried out much charity work, which includes raising a lot of money for MSPCC and Greatwood Race Horse Rescue.
Toshiba laptop certified engineer
Sony Ericsson WCDMA (3G) trained
Training to be CISSP
Meridian certified telecoms engineer
Programming language – ASP, Cold Fusion, PHP
Blackberry Certified Engineer
Secure File Transfer Expert
Our Beliefs and Values
Teaching, supporting and inspiring non-native speakers to learn English
English is a world language and location should not restrict access to professional teaching and language acquisition. We believe in giving people the confidence to speak English to enable them and their families to settle in the UK and lead happy, fulfilled lives.
- We also think that to successfully live and work in the UK everyone should be able to communicate in English.
- We believe that everyone learns differently and is an individual.
- We believe that learning together in small groups of people with shared interests and goals creates the perfect learning environment
- We believe that lessons should be highly interactive, practising reading, writing, speaking and listening in every lesson and embedding the use of practical maths and IT where possible
- We believe that the language we teach should be relevant to students’ every day lives, their work and their families
- These beliefs are upheld by our Principals and Assurances.
Our Principles and Assurances
For our students to achieve success we uphold the following principals and assurances based on Our Beliefs:
- Our assurance that all of our teachers are highly qualified specialists in teaching English to non-native-speakers. They are passionate about their work and have many years of experience
- Our assurance that all students will receive an individual assessment of their language skills and be given an individual learning plan
- Our assurance that we will never have more than 10 people per class
- Our assurance that we will always encourage maximum interaction with every student in all lessons leading to maximum ‘talk-time’ for everyone
- Our assurance that we will always use up-to-date materials designed by Government for immediate settlement and integration into UK life and culture
- Our assurance that we will always use authentic materials that are relevant to students lives, work and families
- Our assurance that we will use the latest Oxford and Cambridge English language books for social and business English
- Our assurance that we will encourage the use of IT in all lessons and all students will have access to a computer during lessons
- Our assurance that Students who complete 85% of their programme will receive a Berkshire School of English Certificate of Achievement in the subjects they have studied